Data Analytics is concerned with statistical techniques that measure the validity of insights from big data, with computational techniques for managing data efficiently, and also with machine learning techniques to learn trends from big data in order to make accurate predictions. Excellent candidates for this program are:
- Graduates from computer science, information technology, computer engineering, statistics or related programs who want to hone their skills towards the “Big Data” field and connect with industry leaders via internships.
- Working professionals in the field of statistics, computer programming, information technology, databases, business intelligence, or related areas who would like to boost their professional opportunities by obtaining an MS in Data Analytics degree without quitting their current jobs. Many local corporations provide sponsorships to their employees to obtain advanced degrees.
- Students who have only partial coursework or experience in these areas but desire to pursue a degree in data analytics and be part of the “Big Data” revolution. For the preparation of these students, UCF offers undergraduate prerequisite courses or alternatively, bridge courses prior to the start of the program.
This program is not for students that are interested in a non-technical education. This program is technically oriented and emphasizes on hands-on computer programming, machine learning and statistical modeling.
This is the first program in Florida build from the ground up with the explicit goal to educate data scientist. Data scientist needs to be versed in multiple technologies including computer programming and algorithms (Hadoop, Spark, Python), parallel databases (SQL, coding), machine learning (predictive analytics), cluster and cloud tools (Map-Reduce, Amazon Web Services for Big Data) and statistical methods (SAS/R). The combination of these skills with an educational experience that emphasizes business acumen and strong communication skills, make this program unique.
This 20-month program is designed to provide a rich educational experience with several unique features:
- Interdisciplinary technical education, featuring faculty from the computer science and statistics departments, experts in data science
- Personalized cohort-based face-to-face instruction geared towards working professionals, modeled after executive educational experiences such as the executive MBA, and designed to maximize networking, teamwork and communication among students
- Program commitment to place 100% of inaugural graduating class on data science jobs
- Strong external advisory board composed of industry leaders that will help guide the program curricula toward the emerging and anticipated industry needs as well as provide internship opportunities to the MSDA students