Explore a Career in Medical Transcription
In this course, you will learn how to transcribe the most common medical reports used in both inpatient and outpatient settings. This knowledge will help prepare you to work almost anywhere in the medical field—doctors' offices, clinics, public health facilities, and hospitals. With this foundation, you will be set to advance your education so you can work as a subcontractor for a company that outsources transcription, or you can eventually even take on your own clients—all from the comfort of your own home.
You will go through each of the nine main report types—their formatting requirements, the components of each one, and how they are used in the clinical setting. Every lesson will include a grammar review, pointing out important elements that will make your reports perfect. You will also gain important clinical knowledge of major disease processes that are essential to enhance your skill as a medical documentation specialist.
Along the way, you will download a free transcriber to listen to dictation and produce reports. These hands-on exercises will give you the practice you will need to determine if this field is for you. You will also go through your current options and in the future by developing the skills of a medical transcriptionist. By the end of this course, you will know the basic report types, have clinical knowledge of major diseases, be able to correct grammar from dictated reports on the fly, and know the next steps you will need to take!
What you will learn
- Discover the opportunities and career options associated with medical transcription
- Acquire the grammar, formatting, and editing skills you need to be successful in the field
- Examine the common types of medical reports and practice with a variety of possible challenges
How you will benefit
- Gain the skills and confidence you need for successful entry into a growing set of career options
- Learn the secrets to being an active listener and develop a number of skills useful in almost any field of work
- Acquire helpful clinical and medical terminology that will serve as the foundation for a number of lucrative careers in the healthcare industry
- This course can be taken on either a PC or Mac.
- PC: Windows 8 or later.
- Mac: macOS 10.6 or later.
- Browser: The latest version of Google Chrome or Mozilla Firefox are preferred. Microsoft Edge and Safari are also compatible.
- Adobe Acrobat Reader.
- Software must be installed and fully operational before the course begins.
- Email capabilities and access to a personal email account.
There are no prerequisites for this course. However, it is recommended that you have prior knowledge of medical terminology and touch-typing before enrolling in this course.
Instructional Material Requirements:
The instructional materials required for this course are included in enrollment and will be available online.
Jennifer Della'Zanna has more than 20 years of experience in the healthcare industry, having worked as a medical transcriptionist, practice administrator, biller, and coding specialist. She writes courses and study guides on the use of technology in health care and regularly contributes to publications about health issues. Della'Zanna is a member of the American Academy of Professional Coders and the Association for Healthcare Documentation Integrity. She holds a Bachelor of Arts from Albright College.
In partnership with Ed2Go, UCF Continuing Education proudly offers a wide range of online courses where students can interact and learn with their peers while connecting with expert instructors who will answer their questions and provide valuable, timely feedback. Students who complete the Ed2Go courses will receive a certificate of completion from UCF Continuing Education. Courses begin each month and lessons are released every Wednesday and Friday for six weeks. Monthly course start dates can be found by clicking on the register online button below. There is no set time for you to be online to the complete the lessons so you have the flexibility to access the course material at times that work best for you. Each lesson include quizzes, assignments, discussion areas, supplementary links, and more to help you master your chosen topic. Are you interested in registering for our convenient and affordable course? Click the button below to be redirected to our Ed2Go partner webpage, select your start date, and complete your registration today!