SHRM Human Resource Generalist Certificate
Online and self-paced. Enroll any time and complete within 4-5 months.
HR Generalists are responsible for a wide variety of HR functions in their roles. This online certificate program gives you the tools to enhance your knowledge and expand your understanding of the role's core competencies. This certificate for those new to HR and/or that are seeking a foundation for the competencies of an HR Generalist.
The program includes two parts:
Part One: Essentials of Human Resource Management
The SHRM Essentials of Human Resource Management Certificate Program is an introductory course offering a comprehensive overview of the human resource function. The course covers today's most vital and timely topics, including employment law, selecting qualified employees, compensation, orientation and training, and the employee performance process. You will view the recorded lecture, complete assignments and tests designed for you to ensure a sound understanding of the material.
- Online and self-paced
- Start at time of registration
- 3 months to complete
Part Two: Business Electives
You must choose one course from each subject.
The business electives in part two are online and begin around the third Wednesday of each month. We will work together to personalize your schedule. You may complete one course at a time OR take two courses at a time. For instance, you may want to complete part one before moving on to the business electives in part two. Or, you may start part one and elect to begin your first business elective (on the next start date).
- Start around the third Wednesday of each month
- Each business elective runs for 6 weeks with a two week grace period at the end
Choose One Writing Elective
- Writing Essentials: Master the essentials of writing, and become the stellar wordsmith you always wanted to be! In this course, you'll develop the skills you need to excel at business communications, express yourself clearly online, and take your creative literary talents to a new level.
- Effective Business Writing: If you communicate with others in writing, you need this course to help you identify and eliminate problem areas. By the end of this course, you'll know the secret to developing powerful written documents that immediately draw readers in and keep them motivated to continue until your very last, well-chosen word.
Choose One Communication Elective
- Keys to Effective Communication: With the help of a patient instructor and a supportive community of your fellow students, you'll work step by step through the process of becoming a great conversationalist. You'll learn to use communication to build rapport and create environments of trust, warmth, and respect. Become more confident, create a great first impression, get along well with others, and create more and better personal and professional relationships.
- Interpersonal Communication: This course explains and explores concepts of verbal and nonverbal expression including personal style, listening, relationship dynamics, self-esteem, conflict management, and cultural and gender communication differences.
Choose One Teamwork Elective
- Building Teams That Work: Are you eager to develop your leadership qualities and be a quality team participant? Many of today's teams rotate leadership roles, so it's crucial to understand both perspectives as you learn the best ways to communicate and work together for positive change.
- Achieving Success with Difficult People: Join this class and get helpful information for understanding yourself, solving people problems, and improving your relationships and personal and professional productivity.
Textbook and Requirements
The SHRM Essentials Learning System is included with the tuition and shipped from SHRM.
- A high-speed internet connection
- Adobe Reader to view materials
- Adobe Flash Player (latest version)
- Please note, the videos in Part One will NOT play on iPhones or iPads