Introduction to PC Security
Learn why you're at risk and what you can do to protect your precious personal and business data from the outside world. This course will quickly bring you up to speed on the fundamentals of PC and network security.
You will understand and explore the vulnerability of operating systems, software, and networks. Then, you will get into the minds of hackers and crackers, developing an understanding of the exploits they use to access your computer without your knowledge. You will find out why, where and how viruses, worms, and blended threats are created. You will learn a safe way to handle files and data across the Internet through a virtual private network. By the end of this course you will be able to install and configure a firewall to build an impenetrable moat around your computer or network.
A familiarity with general computing terminology, an understanding of any operating system you are using (Mac, Windows, or Linux) and an ability to locate programs and change settings.
What you will learn
- Learn to assess your own risk on your computer or network
- Learn the weak links of security in software and operating systems
- Learn to protect your network from hackers
- Learn priceless information on protecting your computer and keep personal data private
- Learn to build a firewall
- Learn to set up your own Virtual Private Network
How you will benefit
- Understand when your computer is being attacked
- Understand the many vulnerabilities of operating systems, software, and networks
- Know how to protect your network from hackers
- Keep your personal data private
- This course can be taken on either a PC or Mac.
- PC: Windows 8 or later.
- Mac: macOS 10.6 or later.
- Browser: The latest version of Google Chrome or Mozilla Firefox are preferred. Microsoft Edge and Safari are also compatible.
- Adobe Acrobat Reader.
- Software must be installed and fully operational before the course begins.
- Email capabilities and access to a personal email account.
Instructional Material Requirements:
The instructional materials required for this course are included in enrollment and will be available online.
Debbie Mahler has worked for 15 years in the computer repair industry and runs her own IT business. She teaches on a wide range of business-related topics at the university level and has written six books on the business. She also contributes to several publications. Mahler holds a Bachelor of Art in Applied Behavioral Psychology and the title of Symantec Software Partner and Security Specialist.
In partnership with Ed2Go, UCF Continuing Education proudly offers a wide range of online courses where students can interact and learn with their peers while connecting with expert instructors who will answer their questions and provide valuable, timely feedback. Students who complete the Ed2Go courses will receive a certificate of completion from UCF Continuing Education. Courses begin each month and lessons are released every Wednesday and Friday for six weeks. Monthly course start dates can be found by clicking on the register online button below. There is no set time for you to be online to the complete the lessons so you have the flexibility to access the course material at times that work best for you. Each lesson includes quizzes, assignments, discussion areas, supplementary links, and more to help you master your chosen topic. Are you interested in registering for our convenient and affordable course? Click the button below to be redirected to our Ed2Go partner webpage, select your start date, and complete your registration today!