SHRM Essentials of Human Resource Management Certificate
This program is online and self-paced with 3 months of access.
The SHRM Essentials of Human Resource Management Certificate is an introductory course offering a comprehensive overview of the human resource function. The course covers today's most vital and timely topics, including employment law, selecting qualified employees, compensation, orientation and training, and the employee performance process.
Participants can register anytime and will be granted access to the course within three to five business days. Participant books will be ordered and shipped to the mailing address provided at the time of registration and typically take 5-7 business days to arrive.
The online course consists of 15 hours of coursework including reading, listening to the recorded lecture, application activities, and online quizzes. All application activities are reviewed by an HR practitioner and individual feedback provided. Participants will be granted access for three months to complete the coursework at their own pace.
Why the Essentials of Human Resources Management?
- There is no better way to gain a solid foundation in human resource management
- Review key pieces of federal legislation on sexual harassment, age discrimination and the Family and Medical Leave Act
- Explore the role of the EEOC and understand its investigation process
- Improve employee recruitment and selection while avoiding legal pitfalls
- Understand the importance of effectively communicating base pay, incentive compensation and benefits information to staff at all levels
- Increase your knowledge of employee orientation, development, and training
- Learn the process, methods, and purpose of performance appraisals
- The course is 15 contact hours. Participants earn 1.5 continuing education units (CEUs). Course may qualify for re-certification credits. Please check with the certifying body to determine if this may be used to re-certify your credential.
Please note that this course is not preparatory for the SHRM-CP or SHRM-SCP Certification Exams. Get details on UCF's certification preparation.
Who Should Enroll
- New and junior HR practitioners who need to increase their knowledge base
- New or experienced people managers interested in learning more about efficient and capable employee management skills
- Business managers who want to ensure that their company avoids costly litigation that could be prevented through basic HR best practices
- International HR personnel wishing to increase their knowledge of U.S. fundamental HR practices
Typical Job Titles of Students Who Have Completed the Program
- HR specialist
- HR generalist
- Office manager
- Staffing specialist
- Small Business Owner
- Executive assistant
- HR administrator
- Admissions counselor
- Administrative assistant
How Essentials Benefits Your Organization
- Promotes a consistent understanding of the HR function to non-HR management
- Offers professional development for divisional or departmental supervisors to ensure HR compliance
- Develops a common dictionary of HR terms for the entire organization
UCF is proud to bring official SHRM Materials to our programs. Participants in the SHRM Essentials of HR Management program have noted the helpful real-world experiences from knowledgeable instructors. For those that go on to the certification preparation programs, participants see excellent passing rates for these examinations.
- Career advancement: These courses are strategic in nature, preparing HR professionals for career advancement opportunities. They features open, interactive forums and "real-world" application exercises to effectively reinforce the key concepts of each session.
- Cost-effective learning: Participants minimize travel expenses for professional development. Tuition includes all official course-ware and materials. Please note that shipping outside of the continental US may have an additional charge.
- Practitioner-focused and competency-based: The curriculum is designed by subject matter experts and includes application exercises that develop specific competencies and decision-making skills. Expert instructors are selected for their knowledge in each functional area.
- Tuition reimbursement: Many participants will be eligible to apply for employer tuition reimbursement.
- Action-oriented curriculum: The course provides opportunities for HR professionals to review examples using "real-world" experiences and apply what they've learned to the workplace. Application activities will be reviewed by an HR practitioner and feedback provided.
- Re-certification credits: Course may qualify for re-certification credits. Please check with the certifying body to determine if this may be used to re-certify your credential.
- Convenient online training: Participants can easily complete the HR Essentials program from the convenience of their home or office.
UCF Continuing Education is proud to bring the best instructors to the classroom. All instructors are selected for their expertise in functional areas of Human Resources and hold the SHRM-CP and SHRM-SCP Certifications.
Tim May teaches the Online Essentials of HR Management course. In addition to Tim's recorded lecture, he reviews all quiz and application activity submissions and provides feedback to each participant.