Spanish for Law Enforcement
With more and more Spanish-speaking people living in the United States every year, learning the Spanish language is becoming ever more important. In the law enforcement field, mastering basic Spanish will give you more power to handle situations involving Spanish-speaking victims, witnesses, or criminals. It's also a smart career move, because adding Spanish skills to your resume can open doors to new job opportunities.
Whether you're new to the Spanish language or just want a refresher, this course will teach you the basic Spanish phrases you need for everything from making casual conversation to handling life-or-death situations. You'll start with simple vocabulary for everyday topics including colors, numbers, conversational phrases, family names, and words for asking questions. You will learn Spanish terminology you can use during arrests, traffic stops, medical emergencies, and many other common law enforcement situations. By the end of this course, you will be well on your way to being a Spanish speaker and communicating more effectively with the Spanish speakers all around you.
There are no prerequisites to take this course.
What you will learn
- Practice the fundamentals of conversational Spanish, with an emphasis on application to the field of law enforcement
- Learn Spanish terminology you can use during arrests, traffic stops, medical emergencies, and many other common law enforcement situations
- Identify Spanish words used by emergency responders and law enforcement professionals
- Discover how to use Spanish under pressure - when clear and quick communication is crucial
How you will benefit
- Open doors to new job opportunities by adding Spanish skills to your resume
- Gain confidence in your ability to use and understand Spanish - even under pressure
- Learn the Spanish phrases you need for everything from making casual conversation to handling life-or-death situations
- This course can be taken on either a PC, Mac, or Chromebook.
- PC: Windows 10 or later.
- Mac: macOS 10.6 or later.
- Browser: The latest version of Google Chrome or Mozilla Firefox are preferred. Microsoft Edge and Safari are also compatible.
- Adobe Acrobat Reader.
- Software must be installed and fully operational before the course begins.
- Email capabilities and access to a personal email account.
Instructional Material Requirements:
The instructional materials required for this course are included in enrollment and will be available online.
Tara Bradley Williams
Tara Bradley Williams has authored several Spanish textbooks and occupational Spanish reference guides, including the "¡A Conversar!" and "¡A Trabajar!" series. She taught Spanish and English as a Second Language at the high school and community college levels for over 10 years. She has also operated a Spanish language school and served as a medical interpreter. Tara has BA degrees in Spanish and Sociology from St. Norbert College and an MA in Higher Education and Adult Studies from the University of Denver. She has studied Spanish at the Universidad de Ortega y Gasset in Toledo, Spain and has lived and traveled extensively in Spain and Latin America.
In partnership with Ed2Go, UCF Continuing Education proudly offers a wide range of online courses where students can interact and learn with their peers while connecting with expert instructors who will answer their questions and provide valuable, timely feedback. Students who complete the Ed2Go courses will receive a certificate of completion from UCF Continuing Education. Courses begin each month and lessons are released every Wednesday and Friday for six weeks. Monthly course start dates can be found by clicking on the register online button below. There is no set time for you to be online to the complete the lessons so you have the flexibility to access the course material at times that work best for you. Each lesson includes quizzes, assignments, discussion areas, supplementary links, and more to help you master your chosen topic. Are you interested in registering for our convenient and affordable course? Click the button below to be redirected to our Ed2Go partner webpage, select your start date, and complete your registration today!