The UCF Leadership Edge Series
As a leader, you are undoubtedly very busy managing and guiding your team, striving to achieve all that is on your individual plate, and working to keep your organization moving forward. You may even feel too busy to invest time in your own development. If so, please consider the following question: You encourage and support the development of your people so why would you not do the same for yourself?
You may never find the time, so why not make the time? For a bit of additional motivation, consider the positive impacts of you being the best leader you can be on the people you lead and on your organization.
The Leadership Edge Series is a highly interactive and engaging program that combines proven theory and best practices in the areas of leadership personality drivers, competencies, and skills. The program includes concepts, tools and insights that are critical to success for any leader, with an emphasis on very immediate and practical results that allow a leader to validate and improve his or her individual leadership skills and approach.
Program features include:
- introduction and exploration of various leadership theories
- group discussion and sharing of experiences/ideas
- experiential case studies/simulations
- skills practice scenarios
- individual leadership self-assessment instrument
- creation of an individual Leadership Development Plan (LDP) that will focus on
- assessing current development strategies while also identifying new development
- strategies to shape personal leadership behaviors and strategies going forward
Who Should Attend?
Any leader in a mid-level position or higher looking to assess/reassess, revitalize, refine, or further develop their leadership skills and approach in order to enhance their individual performance as well as their impacts on people and organizational results.
8 Modules | 32 Contact Hours | 8 Weeks
For a private/on-site program designed for your organization, please contact Chris Rose at Chris.Rose@ucf.edu or call 407-882-0252.
Module 1: The Leader's Role in Shaping & Modeling Organizational Culture
- Define and explore organizational culture; how it is created, embedded, developed, managed, and changed
- Culture-embedding mechanisms
- Understand your role in supporting the culture of the organization
- Realize your Span of Control and your Sphere of Influence
- Learn the impacts of organizational culture on communication, on achieving goals, on human interaction and on organizational results
- Understand the dynamics of cultural evolution and leadership
Module 2: Leadership is a Conversation: Communicating from the Top
- Gain Perspective: Be aware of your communication mindset
- Where are you now? (Individual communication skill assessment)
- Situational communication: communicating effectively in a variety of scenarios (case-based skill practice activity)
- What message are you sending? A discussion around intent and perceptions
- Orders or Influence? There is a time and place for both
- The Leader's Role: Fostering open communication from the top down and the bottom up
- Eliminate cultures of silence (utilize case study successes and failures)
Module 3: Selecting & Retaining Top Talent
- What are you looking for in a candidate?
- Are you looking in the right places? (internally and externally)
- What is talent? A look at Three Types of Talent
- Consider the cultural fit
- Strategies for identifying and recruiting top talent
- What makes your organization so special? (Why should they stay?)
- Factors that impact engagement and retention
- One size does not fit all: What makes you "tick" may not make me "tick"
- Keys to retention success
Module 4: Coaching & Developing for High Performance
- Why coaching and mentoring matter
- What do successful performance coaches do?
- The impacts of performance coaching
- Self-Assessment: Analyzing your coaching toolkit
- The Four-Step Coaching Process Model
- Six steps to maintain a meaningful coaching relationship
- Identify and maximize development opportunities for your people
- What is your current talent development process?
- A look at succession planning
Module 5: Understanding & Applying Emotional Intelligence
- Understand the concept of EQ vs. IQ
- The Five Domains of Emotional Intelligence
- Why being "emotionally intelligent" matters for you as a leader
- Exercise: Interpersonal EQ scenarios
- Apply Emotional Intelligence to your role and your workplace
- Create your EQ Development Plan
Module 6: Leading Organizational Change
- How do you view change?
- The Change Model
- Perspective check: an exercise in trying to see the change from their view
- The senior leader's role in managing organizational change
- The question is often "why?" - help them understand and they will help you get there
- Eight errors common to organizational change efforts
- Capabilities vs. challenges: A key to moving people forward in times of change
- Understand resistance to change and address it in meaningful ways
- Build your toolkit for leading change
Module 7: What Senior Leaders Do: The Nine Roles of Strategic Leadership
- Introduction of the Nine Roles Model
- Explanations and behavioral illustrations of each of the Nine Roles
- Assess which roles fit you
- Relate the roles to leadership competencies
- A situational look at the Nine Roles
- View the Nine Roles from your real world
Module 8: Successful Strategic Planning
- Revisit the Nine Roles of Strategic Leadership
- A look at the strategic mind
- A strategic planning model
- Eleven core elements of strategic planning
- Share your vision: make the vision and mission clear for others
- How hindsight can help with strategic planning
- Ten keys to successful strategic planning
- Case studies in success and failure