The UCF Supervisory & Management Development Series
Are you looking for a comprehensive, competency-based, management training program with an emphasis on developing, expanding and refining skills and approach? Let UCF Continuing Education provide you with an interactive and engaging program that includes concepts, tools and insights that are critical to success in a supervisory or management role.
Program features include:
- group discussion and interaction
- experiential case studies
- skills practice scenarios
- planning exercises
- development of an individual action plan to ensure concentration on the appropriate skills thus increasing the transfer of training to the workplace
Participants will have the opportunity to examine and discuss course topics and current case scenarios through group exercises, individually assess skills and core competencies using a variety of instruments, and participate in numerous skills practice scenarios.
Participants will also develop an individual SOAR Analysis plan, including targeted opportunities for development and maintenance of skills going forward. A training reinforcement planning tool will be provided for the direct manager of each participant in order to ensure that program learning transfers to the workplace.
Who Should Attend?
Manager, supervisor, team leader, whatever your official title may be, you are expected to lead and support others in getting the job done. Experienced managers and supervisors will find the program helpful to update skills and practices appropriate to the demands of today's workplace. The program is also recommended as an excellent preparation for "high potential" employees who may be in line for a leadership role in the near future.
12 Modules | 48 Contact Hours | 12 Weeks
For a private/on-site program designed for your organization, please contact Chris Rose at Chris.Rose@ucf.edu or call 407-882-0252.
Module 1: Roles, Expectations & Responsibilities of a Manager
- Then and now: Reflecting on the transition into your role
- Exploring organizational culture and your role in supporting it
- Do you have the mindset to manage successfully in today's workplace?
- Understanding your span of control and realizing your sphere of influence
- Great expectations: What is expected of you from the organization, your team and your manager?
- Multiple roles of a manager
- Competencies for success: a self-assessment of skills and behaviors
- Defining success as a manager
Module 2: Effective Managerial Communication
- Communication: a foundation for success
- Model: The communication process
- Utilizing the proper communication channels
- Critical communication skills: questioning, listening, and providing meaningful feedback
- Understanding the power of body language and other non-verbal factors
- Realizing the impact of perceptions: The Johari Window model
- Fundamentals of quality feedback
- Model for delivering meaningful performance and behavioral feedback
- Skill practice: Delivering motivational and corrective feedback messages
- Understanding potential communication barriers
Module 3: Establishing & Maintaining Effective Workplace Relationships
- Relationships: A key to success as a manager
- Components of healthy relationships
- Self- Assessment: Building effective workplace relationships
- Understanding others: Employee personalities & styles
- Payoffs of healthy relationships
- Nine spheres of influence
- Value of introspection
- Do you "walk your talk"?
Module 4: Strengthening Your Leadership Approach
- Effective leadership skills assessment
- Successful leaders: traits, mistakes, and experiences
- Four traits of leadership
- Situational Leadership Model: Understanding what is needed
- Leadership and "power" - learning to place trust in others by sharing it
- Leading into the future
Module 5: The Manager's Role in Impacting Performance
- Why focus on performance?
- How employees assess management effectiveness
- Building trust and respect
- Why some employees struggle or fail
- Where should you be spending your time: on low, medium, or high performers?
- Considering your impact on employee performance and behavior
- Factors that affect performance
- Creating and communicating clear expectations
- Ultimate impact: Mastering crucial conversations around performance or behavior
Module 6: Coaching & Motivating for Improved Performance
- What is performance coaching?
- Characteristics of effective performance coaches
- Coaching pitfalls to avoid
- Let's coach: coaching skill practice
- Impacts of successful performance and behavioral coaching
- Manager's impact on employee motivation
- Do you know what motivates your people?
- Factors that can demotivate
- Getting the best from each employee (one size does not fit all)
Module 7: Managing & Leading Work Teams
- What is a team?
- Tuckman Model: four stages of team development
- Creating a team culture of responsibility and accountability
- Four stages of team development
- Five dysfunctions of a team and how to address each one
Module 8: Successful Conflict Resolution
- What is conflict?
- Sources of team based conflict
- "Anatomy" of a conflict
- Relationships matter
- Thomas-Kilmann Conflict Modes Model
- Impacts of destructive conflict
- Three types of conflict
- Additional strategies and tips for resolving conflict(s)
Module 9: The Manager's Role in Leading Change
- Change leadership
- Change cycle
- Our capabilities vs. our challenge: a determining factor in successful adaptation to change
- Eight natural reactions to change
- Five change modes and what each means to teams and organizations
- Eight reasons change efforts fail
- Fourteen principals of productive change
- The change wheel
Module 10: Mastering Time Management & Delegation
- Time management and reality
- Urgent/Important Matrix
- Identifying and plugging your time "leaks"
- Key time management tool: Keys to conducting efficient and effective meetings
- Delegation process
- Communication: a critical delegation tool
- Delegation tips and guidelines
- Understanding and overcoming barriers to successful delegation
Module 11: Practical Problem Solving & Decision Making
- First question: Is it a problem to be solved or a decision to be made?
- Problem-solving principles
- Seven step problem solving process
- Avoiding key mistakes
- Assessing and mitigating risk
- Considering all key stakeholders
- Decision Grid Tool: a practice exercise
Module 12: Creating & Maintaining an Ethical Workplace
- Why do organizational and individual ethics matter?
- Avoiding ethical traps
- Self- assessment: Your ethical orientation
- Case studies: Examining the ethics of individuals and organizations
- Ethics is a choice
- Characteristics of ethical behavior
- Manager's responsibility for ensuring an ethical workplace