Negotiation is crucial in all organizations and virtually every aspect of life. This highly-interactive workshop led by Gary Nichols, MBA will help you realize your full potential as a negotiator. You will examine ways to structure the bargaining/negotiation process, learn how to identify both your and your counterpart’s interests, and recognize the most common manipulative tactics used by difficult people. Discover how to achieve outstanding results in negotiations, not by defeating the other side, but by advocating persuasively for your own.
The Fall 2020 session of this workshop will be delivered online in two half-day blocks. Mr. Nichols will be using Zoom for interactive video and audio experience.
Who Should Attend:
This program is appropriate for business professionals from all backgrounds and industries who wish to improve their ability to negotiate. Past participants have ranged from recent college graduates to mid-level managers and senior-level executives.
Benefits of Attending
- Identify the differences between bargaining and negotiation situations and develop appropriate resolution strategies.
- Develop and execute effective strategies and tactics for different situations that commonly arise in interpersonal and transactional negotiations.
- Understand your BATNA (best alternative to a negotiated agreement) to gain a better understanding of your options.
- Win, not by defeating the other side, but by winning them over.
- Instill confidence in the participant by providing negotiating experience in a couple of experiential exercises.
- Earn a certificate of completion and 0.8 CEU’s
- Negotiation vs. Bargaining
- Dual Concerns Model
- Negotiation Points and Principles
- Exercise 1
- Strategic Framework
- Power and Influence
- Interests vs. Positions
- Bargaining Range
- Exercise 2
- Wrap-up and Q & A Session
Gary Nichols is a Senior Instructor at UCF and teaches courses in the Management Department of the College of Business. His specialty areas include Conflict Resolution and Negotiation, Strategic Management, Customer Service, Team Building and Management/Leadership Development. Gary works with UCF Continuing Education to provide workshops in Management/Leadership Development for clients such as Florida Hospital (Advent Health), Orange County Clerk of Courts, and DRS (an international defense contractor).
Gary received his MBA from the University of South Florida in 1995, his Bachelor of Science in Business Administration from the University of Central Florida in 1987, and his Associate of Arts from the University of Florida in 1986.
He is a former Store Manager and Corporate Trainer for Publix and also served as Mayor of Lake Placid, FL from 2002 – 2004. Gary currently serves on the College of Business Administration Technology Advisory Committee and as the Faculty Advisor for the CEO Knights, a student organization.
Gary serves as a member of the UCF United Way Campaign Cabinet and is a member of the Winter Springs Rotary Club. He currently holds a Florida Real Estate Broker’s license and Instructor’s license.
Gary is married to Rebecca (8/87) and they have four grown children and two grandchildren. He enjoys spending time with family, golfing, watching sports, doing Sudoku puzzles and attending UCF football games.